Mold Removal and Remediation Services
Mold is literally everywhere all around us all the time, and it actually has many beneficial effects in terms of renewing our outdoor and natural resources. It breaks down dead organic substances and deposits them back into the ecosystem. For example, mold is what causes a dead tree to decompose into new soil. Molds and fungi such as mushrooms and certain cheeses are important food sources. Molds even help us create antibiotics such as penicillin and many others.
Unfortunately, it’s not the greatest when it becomes visible in our homes. Mold spores are resilient and opportunistic little survivors. They float along and can remain in a dormant state for long periods of time, until they come into the right conditions to grow. Those conditions are the right combination of moisture, warmer temperatures, and a food source. When mold spores encounter those conditions indoors, they can over-produce, and can cause major health problems and property damage. When this happens, mold remediation is necessary.
When people speak of mold removal, they really mean mold remediation. It is impossible to remove all mold since, like we mentioned earlier, mold is literally everywhere. What we can do is remove the moisture source that triggered dormant mold spores to begin active growth. We can kill and remove the active mold spores, the mold carcasses and the mycotoxins it produces; and we can completely clean and dry or remove and replace the materials in which it has nested and grown. These processes require the right knowledge, training, skill, products and equipment to be done properly. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle mold removal and mold remediation, and there is a right way to deal with this potentially threatening menace.
Mold remediation is a serious business. Be sure you have the right plan and the right professionals on your mold remediation team. If you identify mold or suspect you have a problem, dealing with it sooner rather than later is very important to minimizing health and property hazards. If there is a leak or flood, mold can grow to problematic proportions in as little as 48 hours. Even if you don’t see it, your nose knows if there is mold in the area. Mold often has a strong, musty odor. (Think about the common smell of old basements.)
DOs and DON’Ts When You Discover Mold
- Stay out of the affected area.
- Turn off heating and air conditioning systems and fans.
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across areas with visible or suspected mold.
- Don’t try to clean or dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on it. (Contrary to popular misinformation, using bleach on a porous surface such as wood, drywall, or concrete can actually make mold worse.)
- Contact MAXIM Cleaning & Restoration or another certified mold remediation expert immediately.
Mold Remediation FAQs
What’s the difference between Mold and Mildew?
Mold and mildew are basically just different types of fungi. Mildew is a surface type Fungi light in color which can be easily scrubbed clean from most surfaces. Mold on the other hand is generally black or green and is usually more deeply ingrained. Both can have harmful effects on your health and home if left untreated.
What causes mold to grow?
Invisible and tidy spores enter the home or building through vents and any leaks in your home all the time. To grow these spores need latent moisture and humidity. The higher the humidity the faster they can grow. When the spores settle in a damp area they will start to grow and destroy the surface they landed on. The spores can settle on any damp surface as listed here:
- Painted surface
- Ceiling tiles
Can I remove Mold myself?
Mold is a serious problem and we don’t recommend untrained removal. Incorrectly treated mold can make the problem worse. Mold remediation should be completed in a confined area with negative airflow with high level containment barriers and commercial grade antimicrobial to prevent the mold from reoccurring.
Symptoms of Mold Irritation
An over-saturation of mold particles and spores in the air can cause numerous physical health problems to anyone living in the proximal environment. Mold can provoke asthma attacks, complicate breathing, and even induce nausea. Here are just a few more possible symptoms of mold irritation:
- Nasal congestion
- Throat irritation
- Coughing, wheezing or trouble breathing
- Eye or skin irritation
If you experience any of these problems regularly in your own home, you may need mold removal and mold remediation services. When in doubt, always discuss with your healthcare provider.
How Can MAXIM Help Me With Mold?
MAXIM’s team of Certified Mold Removal and Remediation Specialists can:
- Discuss your personal mold concerns and questions
- Explain available options to help you make an informed decision about which option best meets your needs
- Refer you to a Certified Environmental Hygienist [CEH]
- Provide detailed cost proposals with supportive documents
- Description of work to be performed
- Important discussion points to consider
- Clearly outlined itemization of charges
- Proof of IICRC* qualified training certifications
- Proof of General Liability Insurance
- Proof of Contractors Pollution Insurance specific for mold removal
* The IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, Restoration, and Certification) S520 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation was written to combine essential scientific principles with practical procedures for remediators (contractors). The IICRC reviewed and considered existing documents, including EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) guidelines in the development of this document. This document was written for use by those involved in the mold remediation industry and is highly respected among its peers. MAXIM follows the recommended work practices outlined in this and numerous other industry documents.
CONCTACT MAXIM TODAY FOR AIR CLEANING SERVICES!
OVER 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE!
Monday-Friday 8:30 - 5:00
On call 24/7 for your water damage emergencies.
Visit our partner company located in Fremont, NE Full Throttle Cleaning & Restoration.